
An armed man who approached police while they were investigating a disturbance in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday was shot and killed by officers, the city’s police chief said.
Police responded to a disturbance in the 900 Block of Chateau Park Drive, the police department said in a statement.
“While on scene, officers were approached by an armed adult male who was not involved in the initial disturbance,” Chief Bill Schultz told reporters later Saturday afternoon at the site of the incident.
Schultz said an “initial review” had been conducted. “We know the suspect fired his weapon during the encounter with the officers. Three FLPD officers discharged their department-issued firearms at that time, striking the suspect.”
He said officers “performed life-saving efforts” until Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue arrived and took the man to Broward Health Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
Police hadn’t released his name or other details as of Sunday afternoon.
Schultz said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement would investigate the shooting, which he said is the standard process after an officer-involved shooting.
Also, under the department’s policy, the agency said, the officers involved have been placed on administrative leave with pay while the case is under review.