Local News

Florida leaders react to Obama's executive order on immigration

Florida leaders and groups are reacting to President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration. Obama addressed the nation Thursday night. He is ordering the most sweeping overhaul of the immigration system in decades by unilaterally moving to shield five million undocumented immigrants and prioritizing the deportation of “felons, not families.” “We passed a comprehensive and bipartisan immigration bill by an overwhelming margin last year in the Senate, but you just can’t get some of the reactionaries in the House of Representatives to move,” said Sen. Bill Nelson. “So I think the president should have done this. He certainly has the legal authority. The bottom line is this: we need to act fairly toward our people and also to help keep the economy moving.” Congresswoman Lois Frankel (FL-22) released the following statement Thursday night: “As we approach Thanksgiving, I am pleased that President Obama has followed the precedent of prior Republican and Democratic presidents by announcing a re-prioritization of deportation policies,” said Frankel. “The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will now focus on the deportation of criminals and allow millions of hardworking undocumented immigrants to raise families, pay taxes, start businesses, contribute to their communities — and live without constant, unrelenting fear of …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »
Local News

Florida leaders react to Obama’s executive order on immigration

Florida leaders and groups are reacting to President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration. Obama addressed the nation Thursday night. He is ordering the most sweeping overhaul of the immigration system in decades by unilaterally moving to shield five million undocumented immigrants and prioritizing the deportation of “felons, not families.” “We passed a comprehensive and bipartisan immigration bill by an overwhelming margin last year in the Senate, but you just can’t get some of the reactionaries in the House of Representatives to move,” said Sen. Bill Nelson. “So I think the president should have done this. He certainly has the legal authority. The bottom line is this: we need to act fairly toward our people and also to help keep the economy moving.” Congresswoman Lois Frankel (FL-22) released the following statement Thursday night: “As we approach Thanksgiving, I am pleased that President Obama has followed the precedent of prior Republican and Democratic presidents by announcing a re-prioritization of deportation policies,” said Frankel. “The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will now focus on the deportation of criminals and allow millions of hardworking undocumented immigrants to raise families, pay taxes, start businesses, contribute to their communities — and live without constant, unrelenting fear of …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »
Local News

Florida leaders react to Obama’s executive order on immigration

Florida leaders and groups are reacting to President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration. Obama addressed the nation Thursday night. He is ordering the most sweeping overhaul of the immigration system in decades by unilaterally moving to shield five million undocumented immigrants and prioritizing the deportation of “felons, not families.” “We passed a comprehensive and bipartisan immigration bill by an overwhelming margin last year in the Senate, but you just can’t get some of the reactionaries in the House of Representatives to move,” said Sen. Bill Nelson. “So I think the president should have done this. He certainly has the legal authority. The bottom line is this: we need to act fairly toward our people and also to help keep the economy moving.” Congresswoman Lois Frankel (FL-22) released the following statement Thursday night: “As we approach Thanksgiving, I am pleased that President Obama has followed the precedent of prior Republican and Democratic presidents by announcing a re-prioritization of deportation policies,” said Frankel. “The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will now focus on the deportation of criminals and allow millions of hardworking undocumented immigrants to raise families, pay taxes, start businesses, contribute to their communities — and live without constant, unrelenting fear of …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »

Human Rights Campaign’s Homosexual Founder Charged With Sexual Abuse of Oregon Boy

By Heather Clark PORTLAND, Ore. – The founder of the nation’s largest homosexual activist organization has been arrested and charged with sexually abusing a teenage boy. Terrance Bean, 66, of the Human Rights Campaign was taken into custody at his home on Wednesday by the Portland, Oregon Police Bureau Sex Crimes Unit following an indictment by a Lane County Grand Jury. He was booked at the Multnomah County Jail and released after posting 10 percent of his $50,000 bail. Bean is facing two counts of third-degree sodomy, a felony, and one count of third-degree sex abuse, a misdemeanor. The charges stem from an ongoing investigation that involves an alleged sexual encounter with a 15-year-old boy. Police state that there may be additional victims involved and others may also be arrested as part of the investigation. “The investigation began in Portland, but the criminal episode occurred in Lane County,” police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson told The Oregonian. Further details surrounding the matter are few, but neighbor Jeff Warila told local television station KOIN that he saw Bean bringing younger men home with him and could see them engaging in sexual acts through the window. In June, the publication Williamette Week reported that Bean and one of his young homosexual …read more Source:: Christian News Network       ...
Continue Reading »
Local News

Detective testifies in Janepsy Carballo trial

Detective Diana Romen took the stand Thursday in the murder trial of Janepsy Carballo, who is accused of killing her husband’s business partner, believing he was responsible for her husband’s death. Romen told jurors she knew Ilam Nissim was not responsible for the fatal shooting of Orlando Mesa in 2008 because witnesses told investigators that Mesa was gunned down outside the couple’s North Miami home by two black men with dreadlocks. “From the time you met her, she was trying to convince you Ilan Nissim was the person who killed her husband?” asked prosecutor Abbe Rifkin. “And you knew that couldn’t be true?” “Correct,” said Romen. Defense attorney Nathan Diamond disputed the detective’s memory. “She told you that the reason she thought Nissim was ‘the one’ was because he had her waiting around the house all day with her husband the day her husband was murdered,” said Diamond. Diamond also argued that Carballo didn’t lure Nissim to her home to kill him, as the state suggests, but instead feared him. Diamond said Carballo feared Nissim so much that she was willing to help police keep tabs on him as part of an unrelated drug investigation. “You asked the defendant to wear the wire two days before …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »
Local News

Detective testifies in Janepsy Carballo trial

Detective Diana Romen took the stand Thursday in the murder trial of Janepsy Carballo, who is accused of killing her husband’s business partner, believing he was responsible for her husband’s death. Romen told jurors she knew Ilam Nissim was not responsible for the fatal shooting of Orlando Mesa in 2008 because witnesses told investigators that Mesa was gunned down outside the couple’s North Miami home by two black men with dreadlocks. “From the time you met her, she was trying to convince you Ilan Nissim was the person who killed her husband?” asked prosecutor Abbe Rifkin. “And you knew that couldn’t be true?” “Correct,” said Romen. Defense attorney Nathan Diamond disputed the detective’s memory. “She told you that the reason she thought Nissim was ‘the one’ was because he had her waiting around the house all day with her husband the day her husband was murdered,” said Diamond. Diamond also argued that Carballo didn’t lure Nissim to her home to kill him, as the state suggests, but instead feared him. Diamond said Carballo feared Nissim so much that she was willing to help police keep tabs on him as part of an unrelated drug investigation. “You asked the defendant to wear the wire two days before …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »
Local News

Former Opa-locka sergeant to spend next year behind bars

The man dubbed “Florida’s worst and dirtiest cop” will spend the next year locked up with some of the state’s most notorious criminals. Former Opa-locka police Sgt. German Bosque was sentenced to 364 days in jail and three years of probation for tampering with a witness who wanted to lodge a complaint with the internal affairs unit. That man was Korey Davis, who was also in court on Thursday. Bosque was convicted in June after surveillance cameras captured him punching Davis in the face in April 2011, and then handcuffing him and placing him in a holding area following an argument. The defense only called two witnesses during the trial, former Opa-locka Police Chief Cheryl Cason, whom Davis called the night of the incident to ask for advice, and Davis’ ex-girlfriend, the mother of their son, who was present the day of the alleged assault. Bosque decided not to testify in his own defense. “I’m against bad policemen,” Bosque told Local 10. “I’m against, you know, dirty cops. … I like the person in the mirror.” Bosque has been arrested, disciplined, suspended, fined and sent home with pay more than any officer in Florida. He has been accused of slamming the head of a handcuffed suspect, beating …read more Source:: WPLG Local News       ...
Continue Reading »